HANDLER POSITION -- AVAILABLE NOW
Kristin and the dogs of Bacon’s Acres are Iditarod bound again this year! Our team of 25 dogs (& A Tricky) is in need of a full-time handler for the 2018-2019 training/racing season (August/September to April/May). Looking for an independent, self-motivated, honest, and reliable person who enjoys working with dogs, being active and spending time outdoors. Experience running dogs is HIGHLY preferred. Positive attitude required. Good-humored a bonus.
This is an exciting opportunity to experience the mushing lifestyle. This is not a 9am - 5pm, M-F job; however, daily adventure, friendly dogs and diversity of experiences are guaranteed.
We have fall & winter trails leaving from our yard in Big Lake. We will also be traveling to other areas of Alaska for training & racing.
Lodging and a monthly stipend will be provided. Stipend and "off time" are negotiable. There may be opportunity to participate in a local race and/or a qualifying race this season, depending on your level of experience and demonstration of competence.
Work to include, but not limited to, helping with:
1. Feeding dogs, watering dogs, scooping poop, brushing dogs; trimming dog nails
2. Prepping dogs for training runs (booties on/off, harnesses, coats, packing sled, etc)
3. Training dogs on ATV and sled (with and without me)
6. Cutting and bagging meat and fish for dogs
7. Prepping drop bags for races
8. Cooking fish and meat for dogs
9. Dog house facelifts - cleaning, painting, minor repairs
10. Trail maintenance (minimal)
11. Caring for and training the dogs when I am out of town
12. Making tug and neck lines
13. Sorting and wrapping booties
14. Helping with dog medications, massage, foot maintenance, etc
15. Loading and unloading dogs to/from trailer and dog box
16. Lifting bags of dog food and drop bags (40-50 lbs), carrying 5 gallon buckets of food and water
17. Kennel-related errands
18. Cleaning & organizing
19. Doing dog laundry
20. Helping with social media
Bacon’s Acres is a 38 acre parcel in Big Lake, Alaska. We very recently brought power to the property, which is VERY exciting! Hot and cold water are on-site in the main cabin, as well as a shower, wifi and laundry. There is a separate handler’s tiny home / cabin, electric &/or wood heated and outhouse. The tiny home has water storage tanks, a sink, stove, microwave, toaster oven, fridge, wood stove, loads of built-in storage, small tv/dvd, etc. Photos available by request.
Driver’s license required. Your own vehicle is ideal, but not necessary.
Please contact Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org, private FB message or 907-230-0402, if this sounds like a fun and challenging way to your spend days and nights this fall/winter/spring. :)