HANDLER OPPORTUNITY -- Available now!
Kristin and the dogs of Bacon’s Acres are Iditarod bound again this year! Our team of 26 dogs (22 training) is in need of a full-time handler for the 2018-2019 training/racing season (November to April/May). Looking for an independent, self-motivated, honest, and reliable person who enjoys working with dogs, being active and spending time outdoors. Experience running dogs is HIGHLY preferred. Positive attitude required. Good-humored a bonus.
This is an exciting opportunity to experience the lifestyle surrounding distance mushing. This is not a 9am - 5pm, M-F job; however, daily adventure, friendly dogs and diversity of experiences are guaranteed.
We have fall & winter trails leaving from our yard in Big Lake. We will also be traveling to other areas of Alaska for training & racing.
Lodging and a monthly stipend will be provided. Stipend and "off time" are negotiable. There may be opportunity to participate in a local race and/or a qualifying race this season, depending on your level of experience and demonstration of competence.
Work to include, but not limited to, helping with:
1. Feeding dogs, watering dogs, scooping poop, brushing dogs; trimming dog nails
2. Prepping dogs for training runs (booties on/off, harnesses, coats, etc)
3. Training dogs on ATV and sled (with and without me)
4. Assisting with problem-solving
6. Cutting and bagging meat and fish for dog snacks
7. Prepping drop bag items for races
8. Cooking fish and meat for dogs
9. Dog house facelifts - cleaning, painting, minor repairs
10. Trail maintenance (minimal)
11. Caring for and training the dogs when I am out of town
12. Making tug and neck lines
13. Sorting and wrapping booties
14. Helping with dog medications, massage, foot maintenance, etc
15. Loading and unloading dogs to/from trailer and dog box
16. Lifting bags of dog food and drop bags (40-50 lbs), carrying 5 gallon buckets of food and water
17. Kennel-related errands
18. Cleaning & organizing gear and equipment
19. Doing dog laundry (washing harnesses, booties, etc)
20. Helping with social media
Bacon’s Acres is a 38 acre parcel in Big Lake, Alaska. We very recently brought power to the property, which is life changing! Hot and cold water are on-site in the main cabin, as well as a shower, wifi, flushing toilet and washing machine. Living options: a dry cabin with loft or a tiny house; outhouse. Photos available by request.
Driver’s license required. Your own vehicle is ideal, but not necessary.
Please be prepared to provide references and a resume/prior job experience outline
Contact Kristin at email@example.com, private FB message or 907-230-0402, if this sounds like a fun and challenging way to your spend days and nights this winter/spring. :)